Thursday, March 03, 2005

Today's random tracks spit out by shuffle

Queen Bitch- David Bowie
Seeing Other People- Belle and Sebastian
Erase You- ESG
Saturn- Stevie Wonder
You Belong to the City- Glenn Fry*
Heaven Up Here- Echo and the Bunnymen**
Shakespeare's Sister- The Smiths
Personality Crisis- New York Dolls
Astral Glamour- the Homosexuals
Dance- the Lovemakers


*I know. Although in my defense, I am not going to claim that I'm being "ironic" while listening to it as most people would do. There's nothing ironic about me getting in touch with my cheesy side, and people who use the "irony" excuse should get some balls and admit that they actually like to watch Dirty Dancing and listen to Lionel Richie. Liking something you "shouldn't" or liking something that's so bad it's cool does not constitute irony either. However, according to Alanis, a black fly in your chardonnay would be quite ironic. But I digress...

While I would not say that You Belong to the City is genius, I would highly recommend that you play this song as soon as you begin your descent down to your local subway (sunglasses on, of course) as your mass transit soundtrack while bound for home. Maybe it's the fact that the song was used in Miami Vice, but I always feel like I'm in possession of a giant stolen diamond, and that any second someone on the train will dive towards me and cause me to touch the side of my sandal, release my secret roller skates and skate away. (Although I haven't quite worked out how, even with the aid of rollerskates, I would be able to get through the mass of people that insist on jamming up the aisle and the exit by gathering near the door).


**Amazing album, and song. I especially like the lyrics:

Where are you now
We`re over here
We`ve got those empty pockets
And we can`t afford the beer
Smoking holes and we`ve got only dreams
And we`re so damn drunk we can`t see the stairs



I miss Echo and the Bunnymen. J and I went to see them last year and couldn't shut up about it for weeks. Watching Ian McCulloch come on stage through manufactured fog with his sunglasses on and a cigarette dangling from his lip is an image that will never leave my head, and yet another cruel reminder of how unfair it is that I was not a teenager in the early eighties.

Now I'm listening to Mogwai, which is reminding me of Gremlins and the fact that much like Gremlins, I should never be fed after midnight, particularly if it comes in powder or liquid form. That's all. Back to hallucinating wildly at my desk.

3 comments:

Kella said...

Great music and Gremlin references. I'll check your site out even more now. K-

Anonymous said...

Lots of people in the world, and I find you! Just kidding. Great blog. I was looking for something more along the lines of handbags, but I am not unhappy that I found your blog. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Great blog and thanks for letting me post.
knockoff handbags