Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Bush excuse

I was reading this morning's paper while shuddering violently (as I'm often prone to do given the combination of caffeine and lazy American journalism), and came across today's article about George Bush once again defending the invasion of Iraq. In reacting to weapons expert Charles Duelfer's report that Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program was basically defunct when Bush decided to invade Iraq, Bush insisted that we were still right to declare war, and that "America is safer today with Saddam Hussein in prison."

Brilliant! Why wasn't I privy to this rational school of thought while I was in school? Had I gotten caught by a teacher in a lie about homework (dog ate it, my pants caught on fire then burned my binder, my pencils were stolen by a Thai army on the way home from school), I could have simply defended myself by saying that I was still right to lie because "America is safer today without my book report."

Since we "the people" are technically the boss of Bush, and since he has been limping through this lie for months with the same excuse and STILL has a viable position in the polls, it clearly works, and should now be utilized by people throughout the United States to justify "mistakes" that are a lot less serious than bombing the hell out of Iraq. Spread the love...

No comments: